PRE-OPERATIVE INSTRUCTIONS FOR IV SEDATION
1. Patients are instructed NOT to eat or drink ANYTHING (including water) for 6 hours before surgery. If you are required to take medications in the morning, use the least possible amount of water.
2. A responsible adult must accompany you to the office and remain in the waiting room during the procedure. DO NOT plan to go home alone.
3. If you are a diabetic, special instructions will be given to you concerning meals and medications before and after surgery. Please review these instructions with the doctor.
4. Notify our office (973-762-5773) prior to your surgical date of any changes in your medical condition and/or medications.
5. Wear a comfortable shirt or blouse with short sleeves to facilitate establishing IV access.
6. DO NOT plan to drive or operate machinery for the entire day following your sedation and surgery. Please plan to rest at home for the remainder of the day.
7. DO NOT wear contact lenses during surgery. Your eyes may become dry or irritated.
8. You may bring Walkman/MP3 players/IPOD to play during the surgery.
9. Have plenty of ice and a cold soft diet available at home for the first 24 hours following your surgery.
10. On your consultation visit you were given a total of 3 prescriptions. The pain medication (Vicodin or Tylenol with Codeine) is for after the surgery. The antibiotic (Penicillin or Clindamycin) and Steroid (Medrol) are to be started one day before the surgery and continued until completion. Please follow instructions given by your doctor.